Skip to main content

Barbell vs Dumbbells for Working Out

 There is a very interesting question that I think everyone that has ever worked out in their life has thought about.  This question is should I lift with dumbbells or should I use a barbell.  There are pros and cons for each of these workouts and it is tough to say that one is better than the other.  Let's first start off by talking about dumbbells.

Dumbbells

Pros:

  • I would say the biggest pro of dumbbells is that they are cheaper than a barbell because with a barbell you would have to buy all of the additional weights.  
  • Also, they are easier to store than a barbell.  If you buy a set of adjustable weights, you could throw them in a corner where no one will see them.
  • Wider range of motion than a barbell.  You have more flexibility to change what range of motion you are going to use.
  • I personally think it is easier to change weight on the adjustable dumbbell than unloading all the plates on a barbell
Cons:
  • Lift less weight than a barbell.  Because each of these are using a single arm, then you can not lift as much.
  • Higher risk of injury because the lifting is not as stable.  With a barbell, if one arm slips you will have the other to support, but with the dumbbell, if one slips then you could get injured.
  • harder to target specific muscles
Barbell

Pros:
  • Lift heavier weight than a dumbbell. 
  • I think barbells are better for leg exercises because of the ability to lift heavier weights.
  • Easier to keep a better range of motion so you are using proper form
Cons:
  • Lifting heavier weight could also be a con because you might be pushing your body too much
  • Harder to store if it is at home
  • Inability to change the range of motion
As you can see, each of these is beneficial because of its own reasons.  There is no right or wrong answer on which of these is better.  So the key is to determine which type of workout you want to perform and for what reason.  I would say a barbell is better if you are trying to target muscles and become bigger, but dumbbells are better for more compound movements which athletes mainly use.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Blogs I have Written

 This blog will group different blogs I have written about fitness into categories.  Also, the blogs I mention are some of my favorite ones that I have written and feel are beneficial to read.  This is an easy way for you not to scroll through all the blogs and find which ones you need.  This is going to all be about fitness and will give you the exact links to the blogs that you might be looking for. Definition Posts What is Pre-Workout --> This blog simply explains what pre-workout is and then gives other different blogs that I found useful on this topic. What is a Calorie Deficit --> This blog explains exactly what a calorie deficit is and why it is important for you if you are trying to lose weight? Workout Routines Step by Step Workout Routine --> I think this is the best blog I have written and gives my workout routine and what I do each day.  If you are ever lost on what to do, this is the blog for you and will give you a Monday through Saturday routine. Ab Circuit --&g

Phone Case Review

 Everyone needs a phone case for their phone.  Whether you want to think that or not, that is a fact.  The amount of security I feel when it is on is so much better than that feeling of dropping it.  However, you also need a phone case that represents you.  So I will be telling you about my new favorite phone case and where you can get it.  First off, here is the  link .  This phone case will give you that personal vibe that you are feeling.  It will let everyone know that you are a lifter.  As well as this, this case is strong and will compete with the top brands of phone cases like otter boxes.  As well as this, this phone case is for the iPhone 11 pro, but there are other cases in the store.   You need to get this phone case fast because I do not know how long we will be offering this product.  This might be a limited-time item and get it before it is too late.  Also, my personal favorite color is white so what is better than a white phone case with the simplicity of writing.  The c

How to Start Workout at Home

There are many reasons why people do not work out, being they are scared to go to the gym, they are too busy during the day, or even they do not believe that have a big enough space at home to fulfill all of their workout needs.  However, I am here to tell you that there is not a huge need to go to the gym, you do not need hours to work out, and you do not need a humungous space filled with machines and all of that extra stuff.  In order to start working out, you need two things: Your body weight A willpower to keep doing the simple things I am going to tell you To start working out at home, all you need to do is push-ups, sit-ups, and cardio.  Yes, this is only the start and you will probably need some equipment in the future, but right now we are only focused on how to get started.  This is the same exact way that I started and I will tell you how I did it.  The first thing that I did was before every shower I took I either did 30 push-ups, 30 sit-ups, or a combination of both.  As w