Skip to main content

What is a Calorie Deficit?

 When people first start working out, they might look up "How do I lose Weight" or "How do I lose Body Fat", they will see something like they will need to be in a calorie deficit.  However, what exactly does this mean?  This is a term that will be very crucial in losing weight.  You can run 5 miles and work out for two hours in a day, but if you consume more calories than you burned from those workouts you will not lose weight.  So in the simplest terms, a calorie deficit is consuming fewer calories than needed for your body to maintain its same body weight.  Another way to describe this is your body burns a certain number of calories per day from just being alive.  You also burn calories from exercise.  So to enter a calorie deficit, you need to eat fewer calories in a day than the two of those things (calories burned from being alive and exercise) added together.  This is also not a one-day fix. Entering a calorie deficit might only cause you to lose one pound a week, but do not get discouraged.   

I think it is also important to mention that a calorie deficit is not the same amount of calories for every person.  A 6'5" 230-pound male and a 5'9" 160-pound male require different amounts of calories to maintain body weight.  So, I cannot sit at the other end of this computer and tell you to eat 1800 calories a day and you will lose weight.  For one person, a calorie deficit could be consuming 1500 calories and for a different person it could be 2500 calories and both will lose weight.  The key is finding out the right amount of calories for you.  Some other factors that can affect the number of calories needed are:

  • Weight
  • Age
  • Sex
  • Height
  • How active you are
There are also many ways to track the number of calories burned and consumed during a day.  However, I think the easiest way would be to go to the google play store or apple store and look up something like a calorie tracker.  This is a simple way to chart your calories and understand what you are putting into your body at a closer level.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fitness Industry Will Take a Hit with the Urge to get out of your Home

 One thing that I hate to admit, but I believe will happen is people are going to stop working out or give up their fitness journey.  My first reason for believing this is due to the fact that the lockdown from Covid is finally coming to a close so people are starting to travel more, work at an office again, or even go hang out with friends.  These reasons listed above are going to take away from the free time that we all had during the pandemic and I think that this will be the cause of a decline in working out.  During Covid, everyone had nothing else better to do, but now people are going to want to get out of their house and will have less time for something like working out.   This prediction of people not working out as much is a reason I wanted to start this blog as well.  I want people to continue their fitness journey and continue to exercise frequently and that is why I have given some tips on how to work out fast and without any of the pain ...

Problems with Cheap Jump Ropes

 I think one workout that oftentimes gets overlooked is jumping rope.  There is a reason if you have ever seen a boxer training, this is part of their workout regime.  However, a good jump rope is hard to find.  I have searched amazon for plenty of jump ropes, but I have not found any that have not broken after a few weeks for a reasonable price.  Yes, you can buy one of the jump ropes that cost $100 and they will work perfectly, but not all of us have a budget like that.  However, the worst jump rope that I have found is on amazon and it is  here .  This might have been the worst purchase of my life.  In the first few days of using this, the cable started to break at the bottom, and then the next thing I know the grip was falling off as well.  As well as this, the length you try to keep this jump rope at does not stay there and the screw on top broke for me within a week or two.       I see something like this as a h...

Barbell vs Dumbbells for Working Out

 There is a very interesting question that I think everyone that has ever worked out in their life has thought about.  This question is should I lift with dumbbells or should I use a barbell.  There are pros and cons for each of these workouts and it is tough to say that one is better than the other.  Let's first start off by talking about dumbbells. Dumbbells Pros: I would say the biggest pro of dumbbells is that they are cheaper than a barbell because with a barbell you would have to buy all of the additional weights.   Also, they are easier to store than a barbell.  If you buy a set of adjustable weights, you could throw them in a corner where no one will see them. Wider range of motion than a barbell.  You have more flexibility to change what range of motion you are going to use. I personally think it is easier to change weight on the adjustable dumbbell than unloading all the plates on a barbell Cons: Lift less weight than a barbell.  Be...